Another victim of brain-eating amoeba as boy, 9, dies after swimming in lake

A second child has died after swimming in water infected by a brain-eating amoeba.

Christian Alexander Strickland, nine, from Virginia, became infected by the parasite after he went to a fishing camp in the state.

He died from meningitis on August 5 and health department officials confirmed that his death was from meningitis caused by an infection by the brain-eating amoeba, known as Naegleria fowleri.

This week, Courtney Nash, 16, from Florida, died from the same infection after swimming in a local lake.

Christian Alexander’s aunt Bonnie Strickland told the Richmond Times Dispatch: ‘The doctor described it to us as such a slight chance that they didn’t even think it would be possible.’

Naegleria fowleri moves into the body through the nose and destroys brain tissue. It almost always causes meningitis, the paper said.

Symptoms of an infection include headache, fever, nausea and vomiting, stiff neck, confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance and bodily control, seizures and hallucinations.

The public is urged to contact a medical professional immediately if experiencing any of these symptoms. – DailyMail

As reported by this ministry 5/10/11: The coming epidemics from tainted water will begin to spread shortly. Hospitals will be overwhelmed by the sheer number of people that are infected. Boiling water is still the best defense against water born diseases, and should also be boiled to bathe with. People living in flooded areas should follow this precaution.

The animal kingdom will also suffer from the effects. Those with pets in the infected areas should boil their drinking water also. Pets that are permitted free range will become infected. Livestock will also be at risk from the new strains of bacteria that are in the toxic brew if permitted to drink the tainted water.